Click Adjust & Other Stuff

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Click Adjust & Other Stuff
From: "Chris Chandler" <barak@voyager.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:44:52 -0400
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions about the oil on the side of my
engine.  I pulled the valve cover and sure enough it's not exactly flat.
So close I wouldn't have guessed it would leak, but apparently it does.
I'll be fixing that shortly.

While I have the cover off I decided to adjust the valve clearance.  I
just got a click adjust and I used it for the first time.  Just one
question... After you back it up 8 clicks and go to tighten the nut,
you're supposed to hold the top inposition and it clicks again as you
move the handle to tighten the nut, right?

The other thing I'm nervous about is that I can't slip the proper sized
feeler gauge under the valves I've adjusted... Is it possible for the
rockers to be THAT worn?

I'm asking because after I got that done I decided to check the
compression.  It came out 125-165-150-155.  So, did I mis-use the
click-adjust and perhaps not have a valve (or two) closing all the way?
Or have I managed to do some damage in the three weeks I've had it out
of storage?

Assuming I used the click-adjust properly, what's the next step?  Pull
the head and check the gasket?

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Chris
'70 MGB Roadster