Re: Anyone up to the eBay challenge?

To: kshertz@bellatlantic.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Anyone up to the eBay challenge?
From: MGTD1952@cs.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 08:16:35 EDT
In a message dated 6/30/02 8:21:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
kshertz@bellatlantic.net writes:

> Anyone care to share a story?

I've purchased 2 MG's through the BBS (www.mgcars.org), 68 BGT and a 52 TD.
I've also purchased many parts through that source.

As far as e-Bay goes, it is a great parts source, but one day, a fairly close
69 B caught my eye.  I watched the price rise, put in a bid, was quickly
outbid, and let it go.  It went for around $1400.  Ad said solid car, need
minor mechanical work & tune up, and the 2 pictures included looked very nice.

I recognized the e-Bay name of the guy who won, and had seen him win several
MG's (midgets, B's, A's -- he even outbid me for a Midget in south jersey)
and then would see the same car back up a few weeks later.  I then put 2 + 2
together and figured him to be a habitual deadbeat (maybe some kid having
laughs?!?), so I sent the seller an e-mail saying if the sale fell tthrough,
give me a call.

Well, 2 weeks later I get an e-mail that the sale fell through, and if I was
interested it was mine.  Since they were only about 40 minutes away, I
arranged to view the vehicle.  BOY AM I GLAD!!!!  Had I won the auction, I
would have been pretty pissed when I went to collect the car.  Significant
rust throughout (floors, inner sills, trunk, lower fenders, etc.)  the car
failed the refrigerator magnet test all over, basically a major restoration.
The previous owner had replaced the outer sills and done some major bondo
work, so that he could have an outwardly nice appearing car.  Hence, the good
pictures.

I told the guy I would have to think about it, then ended up offering a
couple hundred.  He accepted.   A few weekends in the garage and I got the
engine running okay, discovered it had an O/D transmission, the trunk which
was stuck shut finally opened to reveal a bunch of spares.  Plus, the guy
gave me several boxes of spares as he wanted to rid himself of MG's.  Bottom
line was we were both happy, but only becasue I inspected the vehicle before
setting the $$.

You take a risk with cars on e-Bay, no question.  If I was in the market for
another MG (boy, I really need an MGA!) I would consider e-Bay, but would
establish contact early with the seller, ask plenty of very specific, pointed
questions, get several extra e-pics, and get an agreement that if the car is
not as represented upon final inspection, the deal would be off.  Therein
lies the key.  I doubt I would pay full for the car and have it shipped (more
$$$) sight unseen.  I figure I would travel to get the car, and give it a
review before handing over the final cashier's check.

...but that's just me....

Steve in NJ