RE: 1978 MGB "Cat Hammock"...

To: mgs@autox.team.net, Aeseeyou@aol.com
Subject: RE: 1978 MGB "Cat Hammock"...
From: "Denise Thorpe" <xyzabcde@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:41:40 -0400
The last cat I had (sniff) liked to lie on top of the ragtop to watch me
work on cars, but he liked to sleep _under_ the tonneau because it was such
an eminently defensible position.  Neither was a problem because he was
only 8 lbs, short-haired, and black like my interior (with white piping).

The problem came when he was in kitty lock-up every night to protect him
from coyotes.  Then, the neighborhood toms would bring their dates home to
my car and you know how _that_ smells.  They also shredded the carpeting on
the tunnel.  The only defense against that was a closed garage.

But since the offending cat is yours, it can be trained.  Instead of
hitting the cat with the rolled up newspaper, when the cat is on the
tonneau, hit your hand when your hand is near the cat.  After a few
episodes of this, the cat will be convinced that it's an exploding tonneau
and stay away.

Denise, who is, yes, a cat lover.

Albert Escalante asked:

> I'm writing this e-mail to ask if anybody else has had a problem with
their
> cat or cats using the tonneau of their MG as a "Hammock"? Especially on
warm,
> sunny days when the weight of the cat tends to stretch the vinyl all to
heck.
>  I've purchased some stuff called "Pet Repellent" and sprayed some on an
> extra piece of the same grade vinyl as the tonneau and it didn't seem
harm or
> damage the fabric, nor did it do much to discourage the darn cat! He's
not a
> scratcher so I guess I'm lucky in that degree, but I don't really want to
> have a sagging tonneau, either!  Has anyone heard of some other more
powerful
> or effective means of discouraging my cat from sleeping on the tonneau?
> Swatting it with a broom or rolled up newspaper isn't a viable choice as
he
> is a very "special friend" (Any Cat lovers knows what I mean!)

--- Denise Thorpe
--- xy