Re: Stutter, cough, splutter

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>, "Mgs@autox.team.net"
Subject: Re: Stutter, cough, splutter
From: JAMES SCHULTE <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 05:22:27 -0700 (PDT)
Eric,
I'd keep an eye on your competitors.  Sounds like someone is trying to sabatage
you(-;
Safety Fast
Jim
78B for sale
70B
seeking MGC or CGT
 Eric wrote:Well, to follow on from my previous post where I was getting the
nasty
stutter, cough, splutter at high revs on the racetrack... was it
electrical? I was thinking fuel!

Well, in the weeks since then the problem was getting worse. I had
replaced leads and re-gapped plugs (just for the heck of it) and checked
the Pertronix. But now the stutter was happening at various rev ranges.

Because I could 'drive-through' the stutter I was now really thinking
fuel (funny, someone else suggested this made them 'really think' spark
:-). I took the car for a long, high speed drive hoping that I could
'blow out' whatever might have been blocking the fuel line, if this was
the case. Besides, I thought she and I could do with the drive in
wonderful weather and there just happened to be a V8 SuperCar race at
the track :-) I would pull fuel lines, filters, carbies to bits on my return.

Well, she still had the stutters at times, so let's look at the fuel
filters (easiest stuff) first.

Two little filters, one near the tank and the one in the engine bay.

WOW! I have never SEEN so much garbage.

Once dried I would suggest I had almost a third of a cup (maybe a little
less) of fine metal powder half in EACH (which means a fair bit got past
the first filter). I can only imagine what is sitting in the bottom of
the float bowls. A short drive tonight showed no signs of her stuttering.

Hmmmmm, can you imagine what the inside of my fuel tank must be like to
be giving up that much garbage. Float bowls checked next!

Anyone got a suggestion as to how frequently one should check the fuel
filter/s? :-)

It just seemed to slip my mind seeing as the engine was totally rebuilt
so recently - you sort of picture it all as almost new - but of course
the same old carbies were just put back on and adjusted and nothing else
along the fuel lines was touched, so I guess the last time they were
checked would be four years or so ago!

Bugger! Another lesson learned.

--
Eric