Re: Newbie Intro

To: MG Nuts <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie Intro
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.cx>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 11:35:23 -0700
Word on the street is Ross Bateman said:
> I am a South African newbie to the list and only picked my 68MGB Roadster up
> on Saturday.
> Very excited to get going as I am sure you can imagine.

I can imagine :)
So, so South African MkII MGB's have the padded "pillow" dash ala US
spec or the early MkI metal dash like the UK?

> The car is obviously 12 volts as the batts are in series.
> So I assume I can just pop a 12 volt in, re-wire and that should work, or am
> I hoping to much??

Nope, its very simple, exactly as you described.  A "group 26" sized 12v
battery will fit nicely in one of the 6v bins. I recommend putting it in
the passenger side bin, since it gives better weight distribution when
you're the only one in the car.

> Then onto the breaks. The master cylinder is looking very sad. How do you
> tackle this issue, replace with a more modern system or refurbish.

I'd go with a replacement, from what I hear rebuilding is a real
hit-and-miss proposition, its not uncommon for 3-4 rebuilds before you
have one that doesn't leak...

Skye

--
1966 MGB - GHN3L     Safety Fast!             __,__\__
The MGB Experience   www.mgbexperience.com   (_o____o_)