RE: Aluminum wheel fixers

To: <proot@iaces.com>
Subject: RE: Aluminum wheel fixers
From: "Scott Hower" <HowerSL@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:31:47 -0400
<proot@iaces.com> asks:
<
<Has anyone had experience with the companies that fix
<aluminum wheels? Autoweek has several in their ads.

BTDT;  Wheel Collision Center  in Bath, PA.

>Anybody have any idea what this costs? Does it work well?

Cost depends on how badly the wheel is bent (i.e. if it needs to be welded)
and if you want them to refinish the wheel.  I bought a set of "dealer
takeoff wheels" from a wheel exchange shop on eBay.  One of them didn't roll
straight.  The shop above is about 20 mins away from me, so I took it for an
estimate: $165 to straighten and refinish the worst wheel (2 were bent, 1
was marginal, 1 was fine).  These were big - 19x9, 19x10; I'd guess a 14x5
would be somewhat less.

Does it work well?  I sent them back, but they had lots of finished wheels
around - some Campagnolos from a Ferrari.  They all looked beautiful.

>Is it worth it for some (probably) 20 year old wheels?

Dunno.  I'd imagine you could buy a straight set in decent shape for less
that the cost of straightening.

--Scott