Re: Choke Operation

To: "Chris Thompson" <chris-mg@cthompson.com>
Subject: Re: Choke Operation
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 15:18:28 +0100
*If* you have an SU pump - one that clicks until the system is up to
pressure then only clicks occasionally as fuel is used - then it is easy to
tell whether you are out of fuel or not.  When you are (out of fuel) the
pump chatters constantly instead of occasionally.  For some aftermarket
pumps that make a noise all the time this method will not work.

For the choke you have to learn what is best for your car.  For SUs you
start with all feet off the pedals, maximum choke, crank it, then
immediately reduce the choke to the minimum level it will run with,
gradually reducing it still further as it warms up.

A Weber has an accellerator pump so pumping the pedal may enrichen enough
for starting but may also flood it.  I have used the same approach on these
as for SUs.