Re: SU HS-4 vs SU HS-4

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>,
Subject: Re: SU HS-4 vs SU HS-4
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 21:24:29 -0700
This could get complicated, but I think the book should indicate the
differences or some of the differences. Not major differences. But the
AUD52 and I believe the AUD135 has the intake inlet for the distributer
advance on the rear carb (later models, the distributer vacuum line
connected to intake mainfold not carb). And somewhere later, AUD326 or
maybe higher, crankcase vent connection ports were added (although I may
not be describing it in the correct technical terms). Then there are the
jet needles - dimensions changed and it went from a fixed to a "floating"
needle. But that too is interchangeable - in my younger days, I used to
take the pistons/jet needles out of my 65B and put them in the carbs of my
71BGT during the winter because those short stubby needles seemed to give
my BGT better cold weather starting abilities - about an extra 20F range.

So you could rebuild somewhat to older specs except perhaps the porting.
Hard to say the full ramifications on performance.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B