RE: welding question

To: "'David Councill'" <dcouncil@imt.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: welding question
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 09:29:25 -0800
David:

>From experience, I would suggest paying a bit extra and going with a name
brand, rather than department store.  Although Sears has been very good with
parts support, their tools may not use industry standard components.  My
suggestion is to get a welder that can be supported by your local welding
supply store.  They know that the home market is competitive, and usually
have good prices on entry level equipment from Lincoln etc.

I've been very satisfied with my Lincoln MIG welder after having lots of
frustration making pieces to keep an earlier Italian non-name brand unit
alive.

I highly recomend going with a reasonable size shielding gas tank, then
putting the whole lot on a wheeled trolley.  It doesn't take up much space,
and you will be stunned at how you lived without it.

BTW.  To really get anything done, you will need a torch set and a 4" angle
grinder.  The torch set again should be the smallest commercial tank set,
rather than the full size or mini tanks.  I use a B acetylene tank, and a
bigger oxygen (can't remember the size) as you use more oxygen than
acetylene.

Kelvin.