RE: RV8 to USA?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RV8 to USA?
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 11:22:01 -0600
>       About a year and a half I helped a friend to find and
> buy an RV8 over in
> Jolly Olde.  His employer is about to ship him back
> stateside.  To California,
> no less.  Problem is --- he's fallen in love with the RV8 and
> wants to bring it
> with him.  Anybody out there know if it's at all possible to
> do so?  TIA.

This is a complicated area.  You have the EPA, DOT, and Customs to work
with.  I believe this car could be brought in, but it would probably have to
be under that exemption that only allows a certain number of miles per year.

Here's a good place to start, which includes links to the other agencies in
question:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer.htm#imports

Follow to the all the appropriate sections and see what you can find out.

There are companies that specialize in handling these kinds of imports as
well, and paying one of them might save a lot of hassle.