RE: GSA Auctions (Cars but no LBC)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GSA Auctions (Cars but no LBC)
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:49:02 -0600
> Under Automobiles, in California, they are selling off a
> bunch of electric
> vehilcles that must have been used for a short time in
> Yosemite.  Check out,
> for only $600, a 34 pass. 1996 Blue Bird electric bus with
> 4,304 miles on the
> clock.  I'm sure that bus musta cost a WHOLE BUNCH of money
> back in 1996, so
> why did they only use it for 4,604 miles, why has it been
> sitting for over a
> year (as it said in the ad), and why are they selling them?

Well, they're probably low miles because they lack any decent range running
on batteries....

And by now the batteries probably need to be replaced for a small fortune.
Note that they all say they need repair.

It was quite possible that the local electric utility donated a few of them,
and when they broke, they weren't worth the money to fix...

> Then, take a gander at the scrap vehicles in Arizona!  The
> border patrol
> takes delight in breaking the frames on new Expeditions!
> There are TEN 1997
> and 1998 Expeditions, all with broken frames!  That's nearly
> a half million
> dollars in junk Fords!  The TOTAL bid so far on ALL ten is only $1700.
>
> Maybe there is someone in the southwest who can tell me how
> the border patrol
> can wreck so many expensive cars.

Well, law enforcement doesn't exactly treat their vehicles gently.  Look at
the way most state troopers will plow through the median of a highway.  The
Border Patrol folks are constantly off-road.  And when you're pursuing
someone at night off road, you aren't always going to see the things in your
path that might result in a broken frame.  Besides, 1997 and 1998 aren't
"new" Expeditions.  It sounds like they took 5 years of off-road abuse
before they snapped.