Snapped a stud - how screwed am I?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Snapped a stud - how screwed am I?
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:53:07 -0500
All I had left to do to be able to drive my car was to let the car warm up,
retorque the head nuts, and reset the valve clearance.  I was tightening the
nuts when the stud between spark plugs 3 and 4 snapped.  It broke off where the
threading starts into the block.  This is a bad thing, right?

I was using new studs and nuts, which I think was the correct thing to do.
Everything else seemed to be going OK, too.

I assume that I need to pull the head again, but will I have to pull the
engine?  If so, I might just tow the car (unless I can drive it with 10 out of
11 studs in place) to a professional and have them take care of it.  Not having
a garage or daylight really makes it tough, especially in the snow (I think
today's weather is called "Wintery Mix").

Any advice, other than opening up a beer?  With my luck today I'll snap the
neck trying to open the bottle.

--Steve (1980 MGB)