Re: Need Fordson Major Tractor Info . . . .

To: Ajhsys@aol.com, doddk@mossmotors.com
Subject: Re: Need Fordson Major Tractor Info . . . .
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 15:35:03 -0600
At 03:04 PM 12/19/02 -0500, Allen Hefner - Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
>I think they used Triumph engines.  Try a Triumph list!  :-)

Wrong brand.  Some of the Ford Ferguson tractors in the 50's used either
Triumph of MG gasoline engines.  But the Fordson tractors are all together
different, especially the Diesel versions.  I was primary operator on a
Fordson Major Diesel for several years in my younger days on a farm, and
have sent some info to the owner who was originally inquiring.

One of my fonder memories was driving my 1958 MGA to the field to trade
places with my dad on the 1952 Fordson tractor to keep the plow running
around the clock in 1969.  It was fun watching him fiddle with the car for
a few minutes to figure out how to get in and start it to drive home.  His
only comment later was that the pull knob labeled "S" for Start on the MG
was a little strange, because the pull knob on the tractor was "Pull to
Stop" for the diesel engine kill.  But he did appreciate the simple
utilitarian nature of the MGA.  He was threatening to install a trailer
hitch on it even then.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg