Battery water

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Battery water
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 17:30:41 -0600
I have a feeling this is going to start an avalanche of vaguely related
response, and maybe even a religious war or two, but that is not my
intention.  I have only one very specific question.

When discussing what type of water to use for topping off a car battery,
the common response is usually "distilled water", and this is sometimes
(fairly often) followed by "anything else will ruin the battery".  The
simple form of my question is, "Why?".  Now before you jump into this with
both feet, please stick to the facts and try to surpress traditional rumor
and personal opinion (however difficult that may be), and also consider the
following.

I have done some web searching and read what is offered by several of the
major battery manufacturers.  Some say to use distilled water, with no
further explanation.  Some say to use "good quality drinking water" with no
mention of distilled water, and no other explanation.  At least one says to
use distilled water, followed by "If you don't have distilled water use
drinking water as better than nothing", (but of course distilled water is
also better than nothing).  In most cases there is little or no distinction
made between distilled water or drinking water.

The curious part is that in no case did I find any battery manufacture
making any statement to the effect that any type of water (at least
"drinking quality" water) would actually harm a battery.  This strikes me
as being quite "significant" in light of the fact that they have to cover
warrantee returns.  It seems to me that if there was any significant chance
that "drinking water" would harm a battery, the battery manufacturers would
be all over this fact and might even go so far as to viod the battery
warrantee if you use anything other than distilled water.  But as much as I
search I have found no such statement from any battery manufacturer.

So here's the challenge, and please stick to the facts, not
speculation.  Can anyone come up with documented proof that drinking water
might actually harm a car battery, and if so, what exactly would be the
mode of failure of the battery as caused by the water?  Best submission
with factual proof will get a full page writeup with credit and name
attached in the tech section of my web site (and maybe some print
publications as well), and maybe some additional prize for furthering the
education of mankind (but probably not the Nobel peace prize).

I need real cause and effect here.  A casual relationship is
insufficient.  "My battery died after adding tap water" doesn't cut
it.  Lots of batteries die (like all of them eventually) for various
reasons.  We have to know why it died, which may require an autopsy with
photos and chemistry test results.  Otherwise I would like to see some
results of controlled parallel lab tests on batteries using distilled water
and "other" water.  I am looking specifically for any DOCUMENTED reason why
"drinking water" would actually harm a car battery.

Gloves off,

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com