Boreing Cylinders

To: "MG Board" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Boreing Cylinders
From: "Gregg Baker" <gbaker@customcpu.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 20:57:11 -0800
All,
    I'm rebuilding my 69 MGB and am going to need to bore my cylinders.  The
cylinders have already been bored .030 and I'm wondering about going to .040
or even .060.  I see Moss has pistons that are.060 over and I was wondering if
this starts to exceed the safe size without possibly getting into the water
jackets?  What is the overbore on the 1950cc engines?  I've read in several
places that even though the warning is always given about the 1950 overbore
that the blocks very seldom have problems.  If the overbore on the 1950 blocks
is much less than .060 I would feel much better about trying it.  I realize
that boring this large will ruin the chances of another rebuild without using
liners and I willing to deal with that.
    Anxious to hear any responses.
Thanks,
Gregg Baker