Balance

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Balance
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:38:15 -0700
I taught with Unlimited Laps at Thunderhill Friday. Unfortunately, in
anticipation of the ground being too wet, the rallycross scheduled for
today was postponed until May 31st (the weekend after Memorial day),
so of course, the weather in Willows this morning was absolutely
perfect. Oh well, I'm sure the students at the street school today
enjoyed it.

I need to sit down with my videos and get some sector times from the
exit of turn 4 to the entrance of turn 6 at thunderhill, so that I can
get a better comparison of laptimes. I was about 4-6 seconds a lap
slower using the cyclone this weekend (though my best lap was only
about a second off) than I have been using the bypass.

One problem that I had this weekend was that my brakes sucked. Even
after adjusting them, they needed to be pumped before much anything
happened. They didn't feel spongy, they just had lots of play.  I'll
try bleeding them first and see if that helps.  I think that had a
major deleterious effect on my lap times. I'd have to get off the gas
way early and start pumping the brakes if I wanted to be able to use
them by my normal braking points.

I didn't have any serious fading, or lack of stopping power once I got
the slack out, there was just way too much slop when I stepped on the
pedal. Towards the end of the day I realized that the clanking sound I
occasionally heard was the brake pedal hitting the floor.

I didn't have much time, to do so, but I did a quick camber
measurement at "the pad" near pregrid. It looks like I'm running about
negative 2.5 degrees of camber with the new bushings up front. I also
replaced the swaybar bushings. Not only did she seem a lot more
tailhappy than she has ever been, the rear end was not
predictable. I'd lift the inside rear tire and spin the wheel a lot
more in (and coming out of) turns. It seems to me that I need to get a
stiffer front swaybar to compensate for the increased negative
camber.

I'm tempted to prototype it by taking one of the various scrap
swaybars I have lying around and attach it to the 7/8" bar I have on
there to see how much it helps or hurts.

I did do one thing today that I haven't done for a while, spin. I've
got in car video of me spinning at turn 14 at Thunderhill. It's not
too exciting, though I wasn't able to bring her around for a spin and
continue. At least I didn't stall the motor. I don't think the camera
was able to catch the flagger shaking the black flag at me.

    Larry

--
                 Pillage globally, Think locally

----- End forwarded message -----

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.