MGA carbs adjustment

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA carbs adjustment
From: "Rui Gigante" <rgigante@oninet.pt>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 17:41:22 +0100
Hi listers,

This weekend I've tested my rebuilt carbs on a friend's MGA. We've bolted the
drivers seat to the chassis (mind you, the chassis, engine, gearbox,
transmission, brakes, wheels and steering!) and took it for a spin around the
neighborhood at 1:00 AM on saturday ! That was fun :-)

Anyway, the question I have is that both jets had to be lowered a lot to get
the mixture right, which makes me think of at least three possibilities:

1- the needle type might be incorrect. The reading on the needle says "6",
which I believe is the correct type. Can you please confirm this ?

2- the needle is fixed too low on the piston. I've followed the instructions
and put the base of the needle flush with the base of the piston. Should I
remove the piston and fix the needle higher ?

3- any other options I'm not considering ? :-)

I should also mention that, even though I can adjust the mixture, the idle is a
bit rough, which I believe has to do with the needle being too low.

I hope that is clear ...

Best,

Rui
GHNL 98700 , under restoration, with carbs transplanted to another MGA