HIF carb setup

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: HIF carb setup
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:47:52 -0500
Hi,
        I've completed the rebuild of the HIFs I got off
eBay a year or so ago. I won't say the guy lied, but certain
information was certainly not communicated. It's all right though.
Buyer beware.

        Anyway, I'm assembling everything on my bench to see
what parts I may be missing. And I have some questions.

1) Could someone with a digital camera, take a picture of their
setup for me? So that I see that I'm getting it right. It seems
pretty straight forward, but I want to be sure. As close to stock
as possible please.

2) There was no choke and accelerator bracket (Moss 372-345 - not
available). Does anyone have one they'd sell? I think I can create
my own easily enough, but buying would be easier. A good picture
would help in making my own. Anybody know what gauge metal that
would be? Obviously, you wouldn't want it to flex.

3) The accelerator linkage lever came with no cable stops or
anything. I'm wondering, can I use throttle cable from the ZS
and a 72-74 cable stop, or should I get the 74 1/2 throttle
cable that looks like it has a connector on the end?

4) In another less than perfect ebay purchase I got a set foam
aircleaners. They had no backing. This guy just out and out lied.
They were pretty cheap, so that's ok. I'm, thinking of using the
backs of the stock aircleaners and cutting them down so the clips for
the foam filters will fit. Some day, I'd like to get some K&Ns but, this
project is nickel and dimming me too much for comfort. :-) Any opinions,
pro or con on this? The aircleaners are in pretty rough shape, so they
wouldn't be worth anything to anyone anyway. And I'm going to use the
back plate for a shorty ram pipe.

5) Last question, promise. Ok, it's a multi-parter. Hosing.
Fuel goes into the front carbs front pipe, then out the back to the
rear carb. The tappet cover pipe splits in a Y and goes to the angled
outside pipes. That leaves the middle outside pipes. Pictures show, a
big hoop going from one to the other. I think there is a T on that that
leads to the absorption canister. Is that right?  I'm leaving the
emissions stuff on the car (except for the cat).

Did I miss anything?

Thanks,
Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155