RE: MGB SPRING COMPRESSOR

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB SPRING COMPRESSOR
From: Chuck Renner <crenner@dynalivery.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 16:55:51 -0500
> No, you don't need a spring compressor, just a floor jack.
> Remove the wheel, put the jack under the spring tray and compress the
> tray slightly to take the load off the 3 bolts and sway bar link that
> hold it in place. Remove those four fastners. Carefully let the jack
> down to release the compression in the spring.

Note that this works if you've still got the engine in the car.  If it's
pulled, there's not enough weight to keep the spring compressed.

With the entire front subframe pulled and on the bench, I managed to get
the  springs out using a couple of spring compressors, but things were
very tight.  Others have used a couple of pieces of steel in conjunction
with threaded rods to compress the spring.

Above all, be very careful.  While small, these springs still have a lot
of stored energy.