Re: Riding high

To: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Subject: Re: Riding high
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 11:19:18 -0700
Barrie,

Ride height is based on suspesnsion geometry, not engine size. I don't
believe that there is any difference in the mounting points, a-arms or
shocks on stock chrome bumper MGBs. There are various things that go
into "ideal", first of all, can you pull into your driveway without
scraping your exhuast?  A problem that I have.  Second, how stiff are
your springs?  You want enough ride height that you don't bottom out
give the spring ratios that you are running.  There is a good
discussio of this in Carroll Smith's Drive to win, with a lot more
detail in Chapter four of "Tune to Win".

Neglecting the issue of roll center, if both suspension arms are the
same length and parallel, the camber will stay the same regardless of
wheel position. If they are not, then the camber will change based on
wheel position and could go negative or positive on compression. You
generally want the camber to go negative on compression, as this help
keep the tire vertical when you are cornering.

If you've already installed decambering (negative camber) bushing, or
decambering A-arms, this will change your suspension geometry, and
you'll probably want less decambering on compression.

It's really frustrating, but in honesty, if you haven't done your
homework, by randomly swapping springs, you are just as likely to make
things worse as you are better. Although you're more likely to make
some things worse and others better, in different amounts in different
conditions.

To paraphrase Barbie "Suspension tuning is hard, let's go driving".

   Larry

--
                   Girling is not a verb.