RE: Rear Axle Oil Change - Dumb Question #1

To: <MGTD1952@cs.com>
Subject: RE: Rear Axle Oil Change - Dumb Question #1
From: "Scott & Lynn Hower" <howersl@att.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 21:41:38 -0400
>From: MGTD1952@cs.com
>Subject: Rear Axle Oil Change - Dumb Question #1
>
> Okay, I'm ready to change the oil in my rear axle (68 BGT) for the
first
> time,
>
>What do you use?

Hi Steve,

I use this:  http://home.att.net/~howersl/mg/mgbolt.jpg

The bolt head is 13/16in.  The 4 sides are ground at a slight taper to
the bolt shank.  Sort of like a cone, but with 4 straight sides instead.
The Moss catalog has better instructions.  Seat the bolt with a deadblow
hammer and use your ratchet/socket to remove the plug.  Probably best to
take the car for a spin before you remove it to get the gear oil
flowing.

Scalectrix MG added for no other reason than my 4 yr old left it on the
kitchen counter after a hard days play and I thought it looked most
appropriate next to the bolt :-)

--Scott