Re: MGA purchase decision

To: "Scot Lengel" <bosoxfan00@attbi.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA purchase decision
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:41:54 -0500
At 10:30 PM 6/16/03 -0400, Scot Lengel wrote:
>Looking at an older restore of a 1960 MGA. Couple of things to consider.
>
>1. Is it possible to change from disk to wire wheels.........what does
>this include ?

Yes.  Change the entire rear axle assembly (difference of length of 7/8" on
each side), and the front rotating hubs.

>2. 1500 engine instead of 1600.  Is this an acceptable core to trade in on
>a 1600?

Yes, but, ....  The primary difference between the 1500 and 1600 engine is
the block and pistons (just a larger bore size).  Virtually every other
part is either identical or directly interchangeable.  The 1622 engine on
the other hand has lots of differences in the block, crankshaft, con-rods,
pistons, and cylinder head.  1500 engines are generally plentiful and
fairly cheap.  1600 engines are less plentiful (but by no means scarce), in
somewhat higher demand, and will be worth a little more money.  Some people
may even consider a 1500 engine block to be a boat anchor.  If you don't
believe it, I could part with one (another one) soon for about $10 if you
come pick it up.

The 1622 engines are bloody scarce, I just sold one I had recently picked
up at a swap meet (just to save it), and I have another bloke currently
asking where to find one.  About once a month I just have to say, "I dunno".

>Who in the Northeast rebuilds MGA engines.

Sorry, not my neck of the woods.

>3. Dataplate is missing.  Is there any other place on the vehicle that has
>the VIN number?

No.  Consider the possibilities and the consequences before buying.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com