questions about engine rebuild

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>, <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Subject: questions about engine rebuild
From: "N" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 10:23:28 -0400
Bill Saidel asks:
"3. Can one describe the significance of the cross-flow head advertised in
Moss vs the standard for only street driving? (Bit pricey but I can ask!)"

Bill:

I ran the Pierce cross-flow head on my +.020, mild cam MGB for one year
before installing a Fab-Tek-built 90% race engine.  I turned nearly
identical lap times at Lime Rock with both combinations.  That proves the
value of the head.  In addition, it develops incredible power at low rpm's.
>From idle to 3,000, it was is if I had an additional engine in the car.  It
has only one drawback - virtually no clearance between the top of the
alternator & the bottom of the manifold for the SU's.  Only about enough
room for a piece of cardboard.  With a pair of DCOE's, you may not have that
problem.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB