How to diagnose poor running?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: How to diagnose poor running?
From: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:34:51 -0400
Good Morning -

I'm in need of some advice (how unusual...) to diagnose a problem I'm
having. My '80 MGB with the dual HIF setup I installed had been running
great. Over the last two weeks, it's gotten difficult to start when cold,
and runs rough, spitting and backfiring until it warms up really throughly.
Then it runs mostly ok.

I checked plugs, cleaned & regapped, swapped out cap and rotor with new.
After work today, I'll recheck the timing as well.

I made sure that all manifold and carb mounting nuts were tight, and checked
for leaks with carb cleaner. This is a fairly new installation that had been
running really well.

I was thinking I should just go through the whole set-up procedure again. Is
that a normal occurance to have to do that?

Lacking experience, I'm not always sure that I'm doing these procedures
correctly. Seems it's more of an art than a science...

Also, I'm considering the purchase of a Gunson Colortune. Are these useful,
especially for a novice?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

--
Marc Siegel, Charm Net, LLC.  eMail: smarc@abs.net