Gave up trying to remove calipers

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Gave up trying to remove calipers
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 22:05:10 -0000
I changed the brake pads on my 'B today. I was planning to change the rotor
also, but I couldn't get the  calipers off. The bolts that hold it to the hub
just wouldn't budge. (The longer I worked on those bolts, the better those old
rotors looked.) I'm sure I'll need new rotors next time, so how can I get
those bolts loose? How would a professional mechanic do it? Would he heat the
whole thing up with a torch?

BTW, it was no picnic getting the brake hose off of the caliper (I thought it
was time to retire the original hoses.) I started with the proper size wrench,
but all it did was strip the hex. It took a big vice-grip to finish the job.

One more question: This has probably been beaten to death all ready, but is
DOT4 brake fluid the same stuff referred to as Lockheed or Girling? Can I
safely use any fluid marked DOT4?  How about the brands that claim to be both
DOT3 and DOT4?

BTW again: Guess how long does it take to blow out an entire bottle of brake
fluid when the Eezibleed cap doesn't seal. Answer - about 10 milliseconds!
Where does the fluid go? I don't know, I'm still looking for it!

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336