Re: dash out

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dash out
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 17:06:36 +0100
Cranking but not firing, I presume?  A 79 doesn't need the tach (or any
electric gauge) connected for the engine to run, that arrangement stopped in
about 72.  However if the white/black that connects to the tach should
happen to be shorting to ground it will stop ignition, and if you have an
electronic ignition module that could damage it.  Only the mechanical gauges
need to be physically connected if you intend to run the engine, or you get
coolant and oil loss, of course.  As long as you have power from the brown
to the ignition switch and from there on the white to the ignition relay and
then to the ignition it should start.  Clip a timing light onto the coil and
plug leads and see if you get flashing when cranking.  If so the problem is
timing or fuel.  If not you need to diagnose the ignition.