Re: Have I lost my mind/ Triumph

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Have I lost my mind/ Triumph
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 11:47:39 -0700
on 9/6/03 6:53 AM, Telewest (PH) at paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk wrote:

> 180 lbs?  Did you know Abingdon only allowed for 150 lbs per person?  I
> doubt any Brit was even 150 lbs when these cars were initially tested, let
> alone 180 lbs ... ;o)

They were probably thinking of 150 pounds as the "average of two persons",
one being female. As for average size of Brits, I dunno... look at Winston
Churchill. Anyway, my 180 lb. number was based on well-fed American testers
<g>.

> Never mind dumping the clutch, the only way they could match the
> manufacturers figures was to slam it from gear to gear with full throttle
> and no clutch.

Now that you mention it, I have no idea what the manufacturer's claimed 0-60
figure was for the Mark I B. R&T measured 10.5 or something like that, but
I've always felt I could beat that, driving solo, in my essentially stock
66B (although I do exceed the 150 figure by a few pounds).

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149