77B won't start

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 77B won't start
From: Tom McLaughlin <tmcl98@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 12:07:39 -0700 (PDT)
All,
Because of a newborn in June, I've put woefully few
miles on my B this driving season.  Now it won't
start.

Here are the symptoms.  Started and ran fine the 30 or
so times I've driven it this year.  Had some time so I
finally dropped it off at my MG mechanic to have the
gasket between the exhaust manifold and the cat
converter replaced (tired of sucking fumes).  I didn't
want to deal with getting the rusted bolts off and
risk breaking the studs, which the mechanic promptly
did.  He said that the autochoke was loose and leaking
a bit of fuel so he tightened that back up as well.

Car ran fine the two times I drove it after that.
Third time out and now it won't start.  Cranks fine.
I haven't checked anything yet as I have a question.
When I turn the key to on, I hear the fuel pump
clicking and it just keeps on clicking like the
pressure never builds up.  I have not pulled the fuel
filter to see if the pump is pumping yet.

Next symptom is that I see a bit of gas under the
tank.  I've seen this before, but I thought it was
just a pinhole leak somewhere on the top of the tank.
I only see the gas if I fill the tank all the way up.

Thoughts?

Could the seal around the pump be bad?
Could the pump be bad? (even though I hear the
clicking)

I'll take the normal troubleshooting steps, but wanted
to ping the list to get advice as always.

Tom
77B