Re: Turbo charging an MGB?

To: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@teradata-ncr.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo charging an MGB?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 11:11:53 -0500
> From memory, the MG Metro Turbo had a turbo blowing
> through a single SU  Carb. The early Renaults, had a turbo
> and a Weber downdraft. Fiat had a turbo in the late '70s
> with a turbo, guessing it was a carb. The Fiat Spyder which
> cam eto the USA also had a turbo - was it FI?

Yes, the MG Metro Turbo did blow through a single HIF44 carburettor... the
carburettor also had some special modifications to cope with the internal
pressures.  Early Lotus Esprit Turbos had sidedraft Dellortos that were also
in a blow-through configuration.   Again those Dellortos are a bit more
special than your standard Dellorto DHLAs.

> Most of these early systems had low boost (6psi), so getting
> optimal fuel and ignition is not too critical. It only when you get
> to > 10psi does ignition and fuel become crucial.

Well for the MG Metro Turbo, fuel and ignition was very critical.  Austin
Rover kept the compression ratio very high, it was 9.5:1 with the turbo.
The turbo would provide 4psi under most conditions, and if engine speed and
other variables allowed, there was an electronically switched solenoid that
would allow for 7psi.

Would those that owned the turbo MGB kits in the late 70s / early 80s, know
if they were produced by Arkay Turbo (the turbo itself would typically have
been a Rajay turbo).  Arkay produced a lot of aftermarket kits in the late
70s for various sports cars, Triumph TR6, TR7, Fiats, etc.

My take on turbocharging an MGB is that it is not as beneficial as
supercharging for a street vehicle.  I think you'll find that most car
manufacturers, from GM to Jaguar, will agree.  I own a turbocharged vehicle,
and while I enjoy how it provides power, it is slightly peaky and has a bit
of lag... but then again the engine does not have an antiquated 50 year old
cylinder head design that the MGB has.

Kai