Re: Why nylock nuts?

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Why nylock nuts?
From: David Woerpel <dwoerpel@wi.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:26:20 -0600
Actually, I just watched a video from the Team Thicko Race Group here in
the midwest and Roger Menadue (Donald Healey's main wrench) was
verifying the authenticity of a Healey prototype.  There were several
Nyloc nuts pointed out and Roger explained that they never put those on
a car because, post WW II, their company was so small they did not have
the priority in the industry to receive those kind of nuts.  (yup,
hardware was rationed as G.B. was recovering from the war)
Roger used to work in the aircraft industry and as the Nylocs could only
be used once, he took them home rather than throw them away. ( I have a
stash from when I worked on a B-25.) Anyway, Roger would find a place
where they would be useful on some of the race cars.  So Nyloc was
around, just not available to all or practical to use them in all
applications.

Just some interesting history,
Dave
59 :{)