Re: 1974 MGB Died While Driving

To: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Subject: Re: 1974 MGB Died While Driving
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 07:33:52 -0600
> Question:  If I remember correctly, there is some kind of oil pressure
triggered anti run-on valve on this car.  Is the oil pressure switch (for
the anti run-on valve) the one on the passenger side at the end of a short
hose ????  If yes, is the switch activated by completing the ground circuit
or by breaking the ground circuit ???  I want to by-pass the switch in case
its some how activating at too high an oil pressure.

Here's my understanding on how the anti-run on valve works (Disclaimer: I
have a '70 with out one, so I have no direct experience):

While the car is running, clean air is drawn thru the vent pipe (bottom of
valve) thru the charcoal canisters, into the engine via the rocker cover and
into the air/fuel mixture at the carbs as well.

When the ignition key is turned off, the valve is energized via the
slate/purple wire (+). The other terminal (-) on the valve runs to the oil
pressure switch, which is grounded only when there is oil pressure.. The
valve only operates for a few seconds (10?) until the presuure drops. This
causes the valve to block the air inlet below the valve and connects the
charcoal canister to the vaccum line going to the manifold. This causes
vaccum in the system. Because this line ends up at the carbs air/fuel
mixture, this vaccum causes them to restrict fuel flow, killing the engine
quicker.

My guess is that you can by pass this system by:

 - disconnecting vaccum  line from valve to canister and leave open
   AND
- disconnect vaccum line from valve to manifold and block

> Any other ideas ?????  Anything at all.  I need to get this car home and
its about a $200 tow job away.

> Thanks In Advance,  Skip

Hope that's it and this helped.

Let us know what happens.