Re: Engine won't stop

To: "Rocky Frisco" <rock@rocky-frisco.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine won't stop
From: "Paul Hunt \(T\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2004 09:33:03 -0000
Usually Dieseling is just that - intake mixture is being drawn in and
igniting on hot-spots in the combustion chamber.  It is true that Dieseling
often results in the engine spinning backwards just before it finally stops,
but this is the 'last gasp' of Dieseling as under normal circumstances what
is in the exhaust isn't combustible enough to continue the process.  Until
the engine *does* reverse, and stop, Dieseling can continue for some time.
Dieseling *always* starts while the engine is rotating in its normal
direction, which is why a properly functioning anti-runon valve *always*
prevents it.  As I have said a couple of times, the above is correct for all
normal engines, without defects, and in a correct state of tune, but as we
know from experience there can be many factors which cause abnormal events.

PaulH.