Re: Tie rod ends

To: James Harwood <james.harwood@sbcglobal.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tie rod ends
From: jello@ida.net
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 14:50:26 US/Mountain
There are several types of cheap alignment tools available.  I own one,
and have tried another.  I have the type that moss sells - it is good if
you have good access to the wheels.  On something like an MG, the
clearance is slim (especially at the back of the wheels), and it's a
little more difficult to use than I'd like.  Sure it will pay for itself
if you can use it, but I get a laser alignment done anyhow.

The other tool is the Trakrite from Gunson - See it here http://www.buy-
secure.co.uk/gunsons_test_tune.htm - these are the same people that make
the clear spark plug for tuning carbs.  This one is hard to find in the
US.  It is a tool that you drive over with your wheels straight, and on
flat ground, and it has a little pointer that tells you if you have toe in
or toe out.  I found this tool to be more user friendly than the
measurement bar that I bought (which I think I got from moss)  The
difficulty is that you have to be pretty sure you are driving straight, or
you gould get erroneous readings.

Phil Bates

> --- "Paul Hunt (T)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
> wrote:
> > be different, but it
> > should be close enough to drive to a tracking place
> > for final alignment.
> >
> Moss Motors sells a cheap tracking measuring tool -
> has any one had any experience of it?
>
> With alignment costing around $70, seems it would pay
> for itself quite quickly.
>
> James
> 74
MGB