Re: Battery running empty

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery running empty
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 11:04:04 -0600
Hello Michel,

I'm going thru the same problem with my wife's Nissan (it's drawing 3A with
everything off) so I hope I can help:

I assume you've already done a current draw test (disconnect + lead of
battery measure current draw with ammeter between + post on battery and
disconnected terminal) correct?

It's really a matter of "process of elimination": Try pulling one fuse at a
time at the fuse box, if the current draw disappears, it's on that branch of
the wiring. If none of the fuses pulled eliminates the problem, it's most
likely in the charging circuit (alternator). In my case I suspect the
alternator is discharging the battery (I'll know later today when I get back
to it).

Assuming a fuse pull eliminates the draw, trace out the branch on a
schematic and follow each wire, look for chaffed insulation, exposed wires,
accessories hooked to always hot lead, etc.

Good links:
 http://www.mgcars.org.uk/electrical/index.html
http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/wirecolors.htm

Good luck, let us know what you find