Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover

To: "MG Digest (E-mail)" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Desperate - Oil Leak From Front Tappet Cover
From: "Christian, Wellner L. CIV COMNAVAIRSYSCOMPATUXENTRIVERMD AIR
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:09:09 -0500
Group,

        I have a 1974 MGB.  Car has had a bad oil leak from the front tappet
cover
since I bought it.  I sealed the valve cover vent and left the tappet cover
vent hooked to the carbs to pull a vacuum in the crankcase.  This slowed the
leak by about 80 percent.
        This weekend, I finally removed the intake & exhaust manifolds and
replaced
the cover gasket (with new rubber gasket).  Cover was fine and mounting
surface was fine.  Cleaned both with BrakeKleen.  I installed the cover with
new gasket (gasket coated with silicone sealer) and found I could not tighten
the bolt very much because the gasket would pop out from under the cover.  So
I removed all the silicone sealer, an installed the cover and gasket with no
sealer.  Tightened the cover bolt enough to see the rubber gasket compress
(maybe one third compressed).  Using a mirror, I checked all around the gasket
to make sure none of the gasket had moved - it was fine.
        After installation (car was idling) I removed the hoses from the cover
to the
carb (venting the crankcase to atmosphere).  I did this because I've been
trying to fix a chronic high idle problem.  After idling for no more than five
minutes, the front tappet cover gasket leaked enough oil to produce a six inch
diameter spot on the driveway !!!!!!
        Help !!  Is this typical ???  Or what did I do wrong ???  I'm ready to
get &
install a cover from an older car that has the gasket channel - this is my
plan unless you guys can tell me what I did wrong.  I'm absolutely not going
to do this job three times  :-)

Thanks,  Skip
Stock '74 MGB (early)