Re: Starter Options

To: <kmwheeler@ualr.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Starter Options
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 16:55:44 -0500
> One warning, and maybe some other folks would know:  a
> mechanic buddy of mine said some (all?) aren't "new" starters,
> they are rebuilt Honda units with adapter plates.

I can confirm that.  The two US manufacturers of these British gear
reduction starters buy pallets of remanufactured starters from Japan and add
their own new adaptor plates to suit each LBC model.  The one firm uses cast
adaptor plates while the other firm uses CNC machined adaptors made from
billet aluminum blanks.  Surprisingly, the CNC machined units are the
cheaper of the two... but it really does not matter which unit you purchase,
the guts are all the same.

Kai

--
Kai M. Radicke