RE: What type welders please?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: What type welders please?
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:49:09 -0500
I neglected to mention this in my post, but I also have a handler 135.  In
my case, I happened upon a closeout when Hobart was switching from the
industrial looking welder with the bailing handle on top to the current
"pretty" looking welder with the plastic handle on top.  I was surfing ebay
one day, and a dealer in NJ was offering about a dozen of them new in box
with free shipping.  I bid the opening bid of $275 and was the only bidder,
as was just about everyone else that bid on one of them.  Otherwise it was
about $560 retail. I started out with a 60 cf bottle and would empty it
about every 4 pounds of wire, if memory serves, at about $35 per fill.  I
recently traded up to a 125 cf bottle for about $2 more per fill up

What Matt says about the gas hookup is true, but most Lincoln, Miller, and
Hobart rigs will have a gas hookup and the kit will cost about the same
whether it is included in the initial purchase or added later.  If you
really are only an occasional user they you might never want it.  But once
you learn to weld there are so many places that you can use it that you
might find yourself welding more than you ever thought you would.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8
71 MGB Tourer