Re: Intake/exhaust manifold studs

To: <davidpriebe@cablespeed.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intake/exhaust manifold studs
From: "Jeff Fayne" <fayne@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 12:48:14 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <davidpriebe@cablespeed.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2004 11:07 AM
Subject: Intake/exhaust manifold studs

> I am in the process of repairing an oil leak at the tappet
> covers on my '66 MGB. I've removed the intake and exhaust
> manifolds. A couple of the exhaust manifold studs broke
> (farthest forward and farthest rearward). Luckily I was
> able to get them out successfully. I am wondering if I
> should put the new studs in 'dry' or use anti-seize on
> them? Also is there any reason to replace the other studs
> at this time or just leave them alone?

Hi David,

If it was my car, I'd replace them all. They're cheap enough and most likely
being brittle from heat/age, you run the risk of snapping one when
reassemlblimg.
I used Nickel Anti-seize (Permatex is one brand) on both sides. Be sure to
use brass nuts on the studs, makes life easier if you need to remove the
exhaust in the future.

Removing them can be an experience, try heating them cherry red, grab with a
vice-lock and remove them in small rotations (CCW then back CW then back CCW
some more, etc.)

Jeff
'70B