RE: BGT windshield trim

To: "'Gordie's Garage'" <mg_garage@comcast.net>,
Subject: RE: BGT windshield trim
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 22:52:53 -0400
I have heard of shops that will do MG glass but I have never seen one, most
of the brit shops know better and bill shop rate for the 6 to 8 hours it
takes to do the whole job.

First order of business is to make sure that the trim is flat.  If they
curled it up you will have to fix that and then curl it to match the contour
of the car; if you don't get it real close it will never stay seated.
Second thing is to go to your local plumbing/electrical store and buy wire
pulling lube.  It looks like what you find in a tissue when you have a cold.
It is slippery as all h%ll and water soluble.  USE LOTS.  It is great for
installing body plugs, bushings, etc so don't balk at the size of the
bottle.  It is usually a two quarts for <$5.  It dries in about 30 seconds
so you will use it.  I find that the best tool for working the trim in is a
plastic object similar in shape to popsicle stick.  Not sharp, but thin on
the end none the less.  First put in the corner pieces.  Next insert a
couple of inches of one edge of the trim under the seal, then work the other
end under with the stick.  USE LOTS OF LUBE.  There are two difficult things
here, getting the trim started, as it loves to pop out one edge as you start
the other, and getting an entire piece in only to find out that it is off
center.

Be prepared to spend the day doing it.

James Nazarian
71 MGBGT V8