Re: Oil Pressure

To: elco506@austin.rr.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure
From: MGBnutt@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:49:22 EDT
Brian,
Well, I'm no expert either, but the effect of worn bearings is similar to
someone flushing the toilet when you are in the shower.  If I remember
correctly,
fluid pressure in a closed system is constant throughout the container.  When
your bottom end bearings wear, the oil will not be able to maintain as high a
pressure as it escapes and runs back to the oil pan.  I never really thought
about it before, but as the pressure drops, I suppose less and less oil gets
to the top of the engine.  I'm sure you'll get a more astute answer from
someone more educated than me.

Oh wait...Here you go, I found this on Barney Gaylord's website (a wealth of
info!!!): "Oil pressure is a result of two things, oil flow volume from the
pump, and resistance to flow throughout the engine. Smaller oil flow passages
provide more resistance to flow, and therefore higher system pressure. Larger
passages provide less resistance, resulting in lower system pressure. This is
why worn out bearings result in low oil pressure."

Check out: http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/of102.htm

Donny V
1978 MGB

In a message dated 6/23/2004 4:18:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,