Re: Multi grade Oil in high mileage engines/cars

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Multi grade Oil in high mileage engines/cars
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 12:47:43 EDT
To the list;
Am I confused (?) misinformed or "spot on" thinking that if you use a
multi-grade or viscosity motor oil such as a 5-30 w or a 10-40w in a car with
high
mileage or one that is beginning to "burn oil" or emit "excessive smoke," the
lower viscosity oils are burned off quicker or will become Smokey blow-by
before
the higher weight oil that came out of the can? If anyone would care to allay
or put to rest any misconceptions about multi-grade oils that I may have
wrongly concocted over the years I'd sure be glad to listen. But I have always
been and will continue to remain a steadfast single grade oil person, usually
an
oil like a Castrol or Pennzoil 30wt. or 40wt. I also try not to mix oils, I
try to do a complete oil drain & change using one of the above oils. If I have
to top off or add a quart or so due to the infamous "British oil Drip" I will
use some of the same oil that I used to change the engine oil with, originally.
I will buy 2 or 3 extra quarts and keep them in the boot..just in case. I try
to avoid buying any oil at a gas station since I feel that having to pay $3 a
quart for just regular oil (non-synthetic) is too much to pay, even if they
put it in themselves. (Which I try to avoid having driven away from too many
gas stations only to smell the acrid smell of oil that has  been spilled on the
exhaust manifold by some klutzy (un)attendant who will never even try to clean
off any excess spillage nor do they bother to try to tell you about the mess
they made!
-=Safety-Fast!=-
Albert Escalante Owner 1978 MGB
The Central Coast British Car Club (CA)