RE: installing a luggage rack - 78 MGB

To: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: RE: installing a luggage rack - 78 MGB
From: "Steve Shoyer" <steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 01:33:38 -0400
Eric:

I have a luggage rack on my 1980 MGB, not sure if it was original.  I
also have an extra trunk lid (1979 car) with the same kind of luggage
rack.  The top screws on the rack installed on the car are about 1.5"
down from the top edge of the trunk lid.  The one on the spare lid is
not even, with one side 1.25" down and the other side 1.75" down from
the top.  It looks like both racks use self-tapping screws, and they
come through the lid just above the hinges, so the tips of the screws
are not visible.  The screws (or bolts, I have some of each) fastening
the lower mounting points come through a flat part of the lid.

Let me know if you want me to take some pictures and email them.

--Steve Shoyer, 1980 MGB