Re: Frustrating day working on Wheel bearings

To: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>, <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Frustrating day working on Wheel bearings
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:14:34 +0100
Shims have to be added and subtracted at the time of installation to give an
'end-float' i.e. free play of .002 to .004 and it is this that gives a
little wobble to the wheel (easily confused with play in the king-pin and
elsewhere) even though the hub nut is tightened to between 40lbft and
70lbft.  Adding shims adds end-float, removing shims reduces it.  Some take
the spacer tube out meaning that adding and subtracting shims does nothing
and the nut has to be left loose, considered by many to be a Bad Thing.
However you appear to have the spacer.  I can't imagine this getting dented
as it is hardened, but its end-faces *must* be parallel to each other or the
inner race of the outer bearing will be at an angle to its outer race and
this is definitely not right.

Have a look at http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_suspensionframe.htm and click
on 'Front Bearing End Float' for my take on the full story.

Of course, the rumbling may be nothing to do with wheel bearings.

PaulH.