Backfire problem

To: mg list <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Backfire problem
From: Douglas Gaither <dbgaither@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 21:06:42 -0800
I am currently driving my father's '73B.  It was not quite warming up
so I installed a 195 degree thermostat.  Everything was cozy.  After
about a week, I started experiencing backfires.  It occurs after the
engine is warmed up and under moderate throttle between 2500 and 3000
RPM.  I did some research on the list archives and found several
comments that backfires are caused by too lean of a fuel mixture.  I
noticed that the rear carb damper continually loosens due to
vibrations.  Thinking this could be the culprit, I filled it up with
oil and tightened.  After the engine warmed up again, backfires again
occur.  I pull over and check the dampers and it is fine, but it looks
though the radiator was seeping a bit.  I also noticed that the
backfires totally toasted the foam air cleaners!

Could my installation of the high temp thermostat caused my backfire
problems?
What would you suggest for me to try to remedy this problem?

I know I could just try purchasing a lower temp thermostat and see what
happens, but I wanted to consult the list first.

Doug