Re: New Petronix glitch

To: <ATWEDITOR@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: New Petronix glitch
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:59:17 -0400
I know it's not on line anymore.... but there was an article
way back when, about a batch of magnet rings that were out
there, mis-manufactured. All the poles of  the magnets need
to be at the same ends (top and bottom) of the rings, and a
bunch were found to have a few out of  'polar alignment'
with the rest. (1-2 swapped end for end) I still have one of
them myself laying around here (somewhere).

I actually still am running an original Perlux unit in one of my LBCs.
Perlux was the original mfr name, before a group of the engineers
bought the division and renamed it Pertronix.  So that means
mine is 10-15 years old now, and still runs great.

I've run (at one time or another, the Cranes, Allison's, Luminitions,
and others, and none come close to the performance, reliability,
and cleanliness of installation of the good old Pertronix units.

Yes...you can easily blow 'em up if mis-installed. So pay attention
to the instructions, especially +12V sourcing when using ballast
resistors and etc.  I've only ever had one go bad, and I KNOW
that one was definitely my own fault.  (playing with it)

So... check the magnets. Try holding one ring up against the other.
The poles of the magnets should try and pull the same way all the way
around.  I'm betting one is either VERY weak, or simply inverted in
the ring.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com