Re: Western Africa (Non-LBC)

To: <TR6UO@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>, <Mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Western Africa (Non-LBC)
From: "Rick Brown" <mgrick@mgcars.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 13:11:55 -0400
Steve

As a former Foreign Service Staff Officer and having been assigned to Dakar,
Senegal for a couple of years I can say that she should wait and purchase
something used - perhaps from one of the outgoing staff members.  I bought a
Ford Cortina used from another staff member and used it until I left and
sold it there.  This is of course just for running around town - if she
plans on trips far afield (not advised!!) she would be better off with
something newer.  DO NOT Take an American car as it would be impossible to
get serviced and parts would be unobtainum.

She should be getting a document from the post describing transportation and
personal autos as well as other pertinent things she should know about the
post. I believe the Foreign Service lounge in DC should have pamphlets
available.

Good luck to her.

Regards

Rick