big white cloud

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: big white cloud
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 00:07:00 +0200
I was driving the B today, noticed it was running a little rough, esp. at
idle -
nothing really out of the ordinary, I thought maybe I got a tank of bad fuel
or something.
Then, while waiting at a light the revs started to drop (it usually idles
smoothly around 900) and it started to stutter.
I gave it some gas to keep it alive, and was rewarded with a white
smokescreen that would have done James Bond proud.

>From then on it kept running rough, smoking especially while accellerating,
and seemed to be way down on power as well, and would ping if i tried to
give it gas too quickly in any gear.
Oil pressure was normal and stable (45 idle, 70 at speed), temp stayed right
at N.

Engine has burnt oil since I got it (a quart every few tanks of gas -
probably rings), but I always am careful to keep it topped off (checked
today before I headed out and it was fine).

My guess, without opening anything up to see, is a burnt valve.
Do the symptoms fit, or do you pros have a better idea?

R Martin
70 roadster
Tel Aviv