Re: oil consumption

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject: Re: oil consumption
From: Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 09:30:17 -0700
Paul,

On 7/8/05, Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> As another has asked what consumption are you getting?  On my 73 motor of
> indeterminate mileage but 45k in my ownership I get about 2000 miles from
> Max to Min, although I top up when it drops half-way.

When I had an MGB, I found that the oil level would rapidly drop from
MAX to about half, but would then stay at half for a long time. I
don't know why it did this, but another lister confirmed that his
engine also did this.  Obviously not all engines behave in this
fashion: my MGA's engine seems to lose oil at a constant rate
irrespective of oil level.

So it may be worthwhile for the original poster to see how quickly the
oil level drops all the way to MIN.

Regards,
Simon