Re: Flickering Ignition light - followup

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Flickering Ignition light - followup
From: "Steve Gorr" <sgorr2@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:09:44 -0500
Well, when leaving Road America I noticed that the ignition light is now
brighter, but the car is still running fine. Just out side of Milwaukee she
starts to falter like fuel starvation. Then I see that the hazard blinkers
aren't blinking, and the voltmeter shows only 8v at the battery. I guess I
lost the last of the diodes and drained the battery. Fortunately, the
Snyders, of Chicagoland MG Club fame, stop to help and, after I explain my
predicament, proceed to their BGT, unload some camping stuff and produce a
functioning Lucas alternator. A bit of fiddling with the connector on the 78
B allows us to hook it up to the 74 alternator. Then a short tow with my tow
strap and she starts. Now she reads close to 16v at the battery. Time to
order the rectifier pack and probably a brush set while I'm at it. Thank
heaven for MG owners willing to share their spares with fellow Mg'ers. I
wonder how many other marques carry as many spares as we do?