New points-won't start-SOLVED!

To: "MG list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New points-won't start-SOLVED!
From: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 17:13:01 -0500
Thanks to Gordie, Bob, and David for the excellent advice on this problem.
As suspected it seems that the problem was the placement of the connections
on the points post. After I finally understood that everything (the metal
band connected to the points, the condenser lead, and the terminal lead) had
to be electrically isolated from the nut, the post, and the bottom plate on
the dizzy, I connected everything up and it starts and runs fine. As Bob
stated, I will never know which of the above components (along with the
dizzy cap and coil) that was causing the problem, but at least I didn't have
to spend several weeks ordering and substituting parts until I found the
culprit.  Not being able to drive the car during the "prime" months of the
year, were worth the cost incurred of ordering all the components at once.
Thanks again for the accumulated knowledge of the list!
Monte